I have had problems with my feet since I can remember. As a little girl, I had to wear "special" (ugly) shoes, sleep in foot splints, go to therapy, etc…. When I was 19, I had my right bunion surgery done and was supposed to go back to do the left once it recovered….however, I never wanted to after that awful surgery and just…..didn't.
In the last year or two, my left had begun to hurt more and more….I ignored it, complained about it, ignored it more, went to a dr and didn't like what he said, so bought some different shoes, and ignored it more….and then had to quit working out and going on walks because it was just hurting too much. A friend had ankle surgery this summer and I began talking about going to the same surgeon….which then led to me actually going, and with lots of support and help from family and friends, I had my left toe repaired….
I am glad it's over…well, done anyway, as I now in mid-December feel that I am still recovering. I am able to now wear some of my regular shoes and do most anything, though I haven't tried to kick a soccer ball yet--ha!!!
Anyway, words can't express my gratitude to Mom and Noni for taking 1-2 weeks out of their lives to care for my kids, Steven, and our home as I had this, and for my sweet friend, Lynn, who took care of me for a week at her house after surgery--including up every couple of hrs at night to change my ice and give me pain meds, to help me as I got sick from an allergic reaction to the pain meds, to helping me take baths…I mean, she did it allllll! Best RN I've ever had!!!!! And, to Steven, who for weeks afterwards has helped me do little things that I just can't do and has lowered expectations as I could barely keep up with the kids much less the house when on crutches and in my boot!!!
I think I am almost to the place where I am glad I had the surgery….check back with me in a few months--HA!!
 |
| Ready for surgery…Dr Crates marked which toe to fix! |
 |
| My view the first 6 days after surgery…. |
 |
| Not too much help around my house the second week after surgery either…. |
 |
| Learned how to drive the motorized cart at Costco... |
 |
| My foot 3 weeks post-op |
 |
| Seven weeks after surgery…I could walk some with the boot off on this day…pretty swollen still! |
Oh girllll ... that foot looks painful!!!
ReplyDelete